Monday, March 17, 2008

Amelia Earhart's Lockheed Vega 5B


Here's the plane Amelia Earhart flew across the Atlantic, and across the United States, both solo in 1932. Both were the first times a woman had made the flight. I was excited to view the plane at the National Air and Space Museum because for my voice for performance class I'm performing Amelia's acceptance speech for a medal awarded to her by the National Geographic Society after making the flight across the Atlantic.

"At 11:30 (pm) I plunged into the storm and met the roughest air I have ever encountered while flying completely blind. By blind I mean I could not see out of my cockpit at all. I had light there which of course, did not cast much illumination beyond the windowpane, anymore than a lamp in a house casts its glow far outside. For about an hour I could not keep my course absolutely. I was tossed about to such an extent that accuracy was impossible," Amelia said about her flight across the Atlantic, which took 15 hours.

1 comment:

david silver said...

I LOVE THAT MUSEUM!

enjoy your stay in DC.